As summer begins to wind down, the mornings and evenings will start to cool down and that means it’s the perfect weather for an outdoor workout! There’s something about that crisp, fresh air that really helps to motivate and inspire. And if you’re just not quite ready to share space and swap sweat at your local gym yet, let this post be your guide to everything you need for the perfect at-home fitness routine. Get all the info below.
Having the proper workout equipment is essential. The good thing is you really don’t need much to get a great workout in! Multifunctional pieces are definitely preferable as you’ll be able to keep your workouts versatile and effective. Adjustable dumbbells and an adjustable, portable kettlebell are really all you need for weightlifting. Bicep curls, tricep dips, squats, and deadlifts can be done with these weights to help build muscle. Resistance training will help tone and define. Use resistance bands, a balance board (this will kill your core!), and these fun workout dice to get a full body workout. Cardio training will build your endurance and boost your heart health. A stationary exercise bike or cordless jump rope will get your heart pumping and the sweat dripping…embrace it! For the full package, this all-in-one portable home gym gives you the total gym experience from the comfort of your own home.
Shop the Equipment
I find myself way more motivated to workout when I have an adorable outfit to put on! And comfort is obviously key, too. Get yourself a good pair of athletic sneakers and a few staple pieces that will help you power through a powerful workout. For women, a couple cute sports bras, leggings, and joggers will get you through any workout you take on. When I’m doing intense cardio or any kind of HIIT workout, a pair of high-waisted, flexible leggings paired with a high impact sports bra is perfect. When I’m doing a more restorative yoga practice, a cozy bralette and soft joggers help me wind down and really relax into the moment. For the men, running shorts, training pants, t-shirts, and hoodies are great for running, weightlifting, or a recreational sports game.
If you can’t get enough of cute athleticwear, Fabletics has affordable and stylish fitness gear for every body and every activity. See the post here.
And if yoga is your true love (I’m right there with you), get everything you need to get your flow on. See the post here.
Shop Women's Workout Attire
Shop Men's Workout Attire
You’ve put in the work, you’ve gotten the hard part over with, and now it’s time to recharge! Power up with a protein-packed after-workout snack and get ready to take on your day. Check out some of Kristy’s favorite fall protein-rich recipes below.
Cinnamon Almond Energy Bites
Warning: extremely addicting. These bites are great for on-the-go!
• 1/2 cup almond butter (melt to make it easier to work with)
• 3 TBS honey
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/3 cup collagen peptides
• 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
• 1/3 cup Thrive gluten free oats
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 2 TBS chocolate chips (I used EnjoyLifeFoods)
• 1/2 tsp coconut oil
• In a large bowl mix almond butter, honey and vanilla extract until well combined
• Mix in collagen and flaxseed until combined
• Fold in oats and cinnamon
• Roll into balls and place in fridge for about 10 minutes
• Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in microwave safe bowl; melt in 30 second intervals until fully melted
• Drizzle melted chocolate on rolled balls and place back in fridge for 10 minutes
Pumpkin Protein Bars
These are the perfect fall power-up snack!
• 1/3 cup oat flour
• 1/4 cup chocolate protein (I used BodyLean25 – get 10% off with our link)
• 1 tsp Flavor God’s Pumpkin Seasoning (can use pumpkin spice seasoning)
• 1/2 cup almond butter (can use any nut butter of your choice)
• 1/3 cup sugar-free maple syrup (I used Walden Farms)
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
• 1 TBS unsweetened vanilla almond milk
• 1/2 cup organic dark semi chocolate morsels
• Mix flour, protein and pumpkin spice together in a small bowl
• Mix almond butter and maple syrup in a sauce pan on low heat until melted – then add vanilla extract
• Mix wet ingredients together with the dry as well as the pumpkin purée – you’ll find it to be thick but if it’s not you can add more flour
• Once combined add chocolate morsels and almond milk
• Transfer your dough to a parchment lined pan – flatten with your palms to ensure firmness
• Refrigerate for 45 minutes and cut into squares
• Keep refrigerated until ready to eat!
Protein Pumpkin Oatmeal
This healthy and hearty protein-packed oatmeal is bound to please your palate.
• 1/2 cup almond milk
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
• 1/2 cup rolled oats
• 1/2 mashed banana
• 1/4 tsp vanilla
• Dash of cinnamon and pumpkin spice
• 1 TBS vanilla protein (I used BodyLean25 – get 10% off with our link)
• 2 egg whites
• Toppings: melted almond butter, pecans, banana slices
• Combine all ingredients except egg whites and protein in a small pot
• Stir on medium heat until thickened and then simmer until desired thickness
• Remove from heat and whisk/stir in egg whites until mixed in well
• Stir in your protein and top with your favorite toppings
We hope this gives you a little inspiration to get out there and get moving!! We’d love to hear what your at-home workout essentials are.